As early as November 11, 1931, the local newspaper mentions the creation of a chapter of the Alliance Française: statutes of the National Organization were ratified and adopted at the meeting held at the Hotel La Playa in Carmel. However, there is no further record of this early beginning of the Alliance Française.
La Causerie Française
In the fifties, a club known as “La Causerie Française” was born and ran successfully for many years. In the early sixties, Madame Jehanne Biétry-Salinger Carlson was instrumental in transforming this club into a branch of the Fédération des Alliances Françaises aux Etats Unis. At the first meeting held on October 21, 1961, at the Carmel Art Association, the first board of Directors was elected and 36 people became members. On December 26, 1973, The Alliance Française de la Péninsule de Monterey was incorporated in the State of California by then Secretary of State Edmund G. Brown, Jr., and on March 29, 1974, the Department of Justice declared this corporation to be a non-profit organization.